[vtkusers] Intersection of Two PolyData Surfaces

Cooper, Carlo ccooper at klohn.com
Fri Jan 27 09:57:08 EST 2006

I'm sure this question is familiar to long time users - when searching the
archives, I found numerous references to people asking how to intersect two
polydata surfaces (made up exclusively of triangles).  I want to find the
line of intersection - as per vtkCutter , or trim one surface with another
as in  vtkClipPolyData, or create a closed solid based on the intersection
of two triangulated meshes.

I didn't really find many satisfactory answers on the mailing list, or at
least, any good strategies I could go with.  Dave Pont has sent a few people
his vtkImplicitPolyData class (I think that's the one), and am wondering if
that is a robust solution?

Before I go and start writing my own intersection code based in intersecting
triangles (I guess), has anyone else had any success with this type of
problem using the standard VTK libraries?

I've tried vtkImplicitDataSet, but don't see how that can work given that if
a point on the data being clipped doesn't lay exactly on the ImplicitDataSet
surface, then the 'outside/off surface' default value is used..

Regards

Carlo Cooper