[vtkusers] LOD with the whole Earth?

Okeefe, Charlie (Mission Systems) Charlie.Okeefe at ngc.com
Mon Jan 16 18:21:24 EST 2006

I'm wrestling with the problem of adopting a changing-level-of-detail approach to visualizing the Earth. I have a terrain map of the Earth and various things I'd like to texture-map onto it, and I'd like the user to be able to move between views of the entire planet and detailed views of very small areas.

I've been looking for some kind of support for this in VTK and found the vtkLODActor and vtkLODProp3D classes, but these don't seem to fit the bill. Because of the amount of data involved, the application will need to *generate* a new representation of the Earth based on where the camera is on the Earth, not select a representation based on the camera's distance from the Earth. You don't ever want to work with a full-resolution model that includes the whole Earth, as vtkLODActor would do. Can someone tell me if there is support for this in VTK, or point me to a VTK project where this has been done?

Much thanks for any help!

Charlie