[vtkusers] Reading IGES files in VTK

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jan 13 12:54:04 EST 2006

Volker Holzbach wrote:
> I´m trying to read IGES-files into my VTK-View. I already tried the way
> through OpenCascade but, this some times doesn´t work
> and corrupt some 3d information.
> Is there a way to directly read an IGES-file to VTK without using any
> additional librarys or tools?

In order to read a file format directly without conversion there must be
a VTK reader class available.  To my knowledge there is no reader in VTK
for IGES file types.  I'm assuming you're talking about this format:

   http://www.nist.gov/iges

There are two ways to create a VTK reader class:

1.) Write a stand-alone vtkIGESReader class that knows how to read the
format directly and store the result in a VTK type.  According to the
page above the format is plain-text so this should be somewhat.

2.) Write a vtkIGESReader class that wraps around a library of reading
code and translates VTK pipeline update requests into calls into the
library and then converts the output of the library into a VTK type.

-Brad