[vtkusers] VTK and multiple monitors.

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Wed Jan 11 10:13:05 EST 2006

Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 15:46 +1100, Andrew Maclean wrote:
>

>>Has anyone any experience running VTK with multiple monitors?
>>
>>Someone here is thinking of having an embedded system driving four monitors
>>each having a borderless render window and they want a vtk animation to move
>>from one monitor to another. Presumably the embedded system will support 4
>>graphics adapters or 4 multi-head cards.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>>Andrew
>>

>I'm sure the OS and driver matters. I've been using Fedora Core with
>Dual monitors for a while now. I use the radeon driver that comes with
>x.org for my cheap and old  Radeon 7500.  Even with  MergedFB set no GL
>application shows anything on the second monitor. This is not a problem
>for me as I usually have at least one monitors worth of gvim windows.
>
>The person you are talking about may have to do some real testing or
>research about the OS, hardware, and driver combination before getting
>going.

I can give a little additional insight... SGI visualization systems
(Prism/Onyx)
can handle this no problem, they're designed for fast multi-head graphics,
any recent nVidia dual-head cards will work too, under either WindowsXP
or Linux with Xinerama (never tried a quad configuration), I've never tried
a Radeon but I suspect it would work for dual-head VTK on Windows.

 - David