[vtkusers] vtkDecimate / vtk5.0

mike jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:56:16 EST 2006

The reason that I and others may prefer the original vtkDecimate
algorithms is that they Produce "better" meshes for our uses. In my
case "better" means that I am able to better control the aspect ratio
of the produced triangles as eventually our model is going to be fed
into an FEA/FEM application. These applications typically do not like
high aspect ratio triangles. We found that for our application the
vtkDecimate produced "Better" meshes. vtkDecimatePro tended to produce
"inferior" results are did the other "decimation" algorithms.

"better" and "inferior" are my opinions of the results. Other users
may reverse these and find that one of the other Decimation algorithms
work "better" for them. These opinions are not meant to start a flame
war or anything else.

Mike Jackson