[vtkusers] Rendering Bug with vtkPanel under Linux

Tom Feist shabble at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:06:31 EST 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to use VTK with the java bindings for a university
assignment, and I'm running into some problems whilst trying to use
vtkPanel.

The version we have installed on the university network doesn't have
the vtkPanel and vtkCanvas classes, so I've been trying to build them
from source.  Unfortunately, I don't really know enough about the
underlying architecture of the whole thing to determine exactly where
my problems are coming from.

Ultimately, my goal is to embed a vtk rendering window inside a swing
application, and control various elements of the rendering via swing
controls, and mouse picking and manipulation on the render window.  As
far as I can see, vtkPanel is the best way to go about this, but if
there are any other methods, I'd appreciate any information.

I have attempted to build my own local copy of a newer version of vtk
(4.4.2), and have achieved some success, but there are a few troubling
issues:

1) the Wrapping/Java classes are not built, even though I've specified
in the ccmake program that they should be.  (I haven't been able to
trace through the ccmakefiles to work out exactly which option it
depends on, but I've tried a variety of different combinations)

2) in the Wrapping/Java/vtk/ directory, I have a file named
vtkSettings.java.in, which contains what I assume to be ccmake
replacement strings, such as "@LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH@"
and I can't work out how to process these to get correct java source
files.  This is also slightly concerning me that it may be happening
elsewhere and leading to problems.

3) The vtkPanel.java file from that dir does however build on its own,
and so do various
other versions I've found floating around (via CVS, certain modified
ones form this mailing list, etc)

When testing with the SimpleVTK application, I get the following results:
<url:http://www.monkeyhost.co.uk/shab/cone1.png>
<url:http://www.monkeyhost.co.uk/shab/cone2.png>
<url:http://www.monkeyhost.co.uk/shab/cone3.png>

(Ignore the malformed quit button on the left, It appears correct in
the program)
It seems to be missing surfaces, or getting confused with the
lighting. I'm not actually sure
what is going on there, other than it doesn't look right.

If anyone can shed any light on these problems, It would be hugely
appreciated (And as I've still got teh application to write, you won't
be doing my homework :) )

If any more information about my configuration would be useful, please
ask for it and I'll post it, I've tried to summarise things here, but
at this point I'm not even sure what is important.

--Tom Feist