[vtkusers] weird patches in delaunay triangulation

Burlen burlen at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Mon Feb 20 10:41:45 EST 2006

Hi, in an attempt to visualize some multi resolution data I'm constructing a
surface by passing vtkPolyData made from vtkPoints, & a vtkDoubleArray
through the vtkDelaunay2D filter & then writing the output to file for use
with paraview. In the resulting visualization I see a bunch of anomalies,
that look like pentagonal patches in one case and hexagonal in another. the
following images shows what I'm talking about. There are three visualizations
shown, the first is that of a vtkUnstructuredGrid obtained from the output of
vtkAppendFilter(), the second is that of a vtkDelaunay2D filter acting on the
vtkPoints and arrays from vtkPointData that are in the output of the
vtkAppendFilter, the third is that of a vtkDelaunay2D acting on a vtkPolyData
which I built using vtkPoints and vtkDoubleArrays sorted in ascending order
after removing duplicate points.

http://quaoar.sr.unh.edu/images/delaunay_splotches.png

Does any one know what I could do to correct this? Or why it might be
happening?

--

Burlen Loring
Space Science Center