[vtkusers] DICOM to STL conversion (Urgent help required)

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Mon Feb 20 08:49:13 EST 2006

Suresh G N wrote:
> Hello experts,
>
> I am new to VTK. I am trying to convert DICOM images to STL
> (Stereolithography file) for rapid prototyping application.I could able
> to read the dicom images using vtkDICOMImageReader and visualize it. But
> converting it to STL is bit tricky I think. Can any one please tell me
> how to convert it. Any suggestions is much appreciated. If you have any
> material on STL, please pass it to me. Please help me to solve this
> problem, it's very urgent.

Suresh,

	You understand that you are trying to go from a structured ImageData to
an unstructured PolyData ? There is no direct conversion from one to the
other. You need to redefine your real problem. Maybe a you are missing
the contour detection (Marching Cubes). And BTW there is a
vtkSTLReader/Writer in VTK.

HTH
Mathieu