[vtkusers] DecimatePro -> for surface meshes only?

John Harris lost_bits1110 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:14:26 EST 2006

Hi experts,

Probably a silly question but, is vtkDecimatePro meant for surface meshes
only?

I have a volume mesh (tetrahedra's) which I convert to traingles using
vtkGeometryFilter, then decimate using vtkDecimatePro, then retriangulate
using vtkDelaunay3D

I need to display just a slice, or cross-section of this, and I do this
using vtkCutter with a defined plane

This results in "holes" through the cross-sectional slice.  If I display a
slice without decimating and retriangulating, then I don't see holes.

So is this because I'm using a volume mesh?
Is there a way I can decimate a volume mesh successfully using VTK?

Thank you kindly..!
LD