[vtkusers] How to compile tutorial example?

Obada Mahdi omahdi at gmx.de
Fri Feb 10 15:14:01 EST 2006

Hi James,

here is another hint which might be worth trying.

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:36 PM, James Frye wrote:
 > Since there is no Makefile, I made a simple one, which I've
included at
 > the end.  The problem is that this gives me about 54K lines of
"undefined
 > reference to vtkSomething..." messages.  [...]

[Makefile]
 > LIBS = -L/opt/vtk/lib \
 >        -lvtkCommon -lvtkDICOMParser -lvtkFiltering -
lvtkGenericFiltering \
 >        -lvtkGraphics -lvtkHybrid -lvtkIO -lvtkImaging -
lvtkMPEG2Encode \
 >        -lvtkNetCDF -lvtkRendering -lvtkVolumeRendering -
lvtkWidgets    \
 >        -lvtkexoIIc -lvtkexpat -lvtkfreetype -lvtkftgl -lvtkjpeg -
lvtkpng \
 >        -lvtksys -lvtktiff -lvtkzlib

In your Makefile, libraries are mentioned based on lexicographical
order.  From what I know about the linking process, the order is
significant; undefined symbols are looked up in the libraries in the
order they are mentioned in the argument list, but (yet unused) symbols
exported by a library are not remembered for later lookup.

You can check library dependencies by having a look at the file
"VTKLibraryDepends.cmake", which in your installation should reside
somewhere in "/opt/vtk/lib/vtk-5.0".  In case this is the cause of your
"undefined symbols" problem, rearranging the libraries in the argument
list (so that every library is mentioned _before_ its dependencies)
should help.

Regards

Obada