[vtkusers] How to compile tutorial example?

James Frye frye at cs.unr.edu
Fri Feb 10 13:16:10 EST 2006

David,

Well, it does and it doesn't :-)

After some fumbling, I got it to generate a Makefile that will compile the
example.  The problems are that it's not a standard makefile at all: it
calls CMake internally through several levels of scripts and/or recursive
make calls, creates a bunch of additional directories & files, uses wrong
commands & extensions...

I suppose I could eventually trace through all of this, and extract the
relevant parts to make a useable makefile (My first quick shot did get me
down to a mere 10K or so error lines :-)), but I need to ask whether it's
going to be worth doing, whether that makefile would work as a template
for other programs. Please understand that we're not starting a project
from scratch: we have existing code & makefiles which work.  We really
aren't interested in re-writing all this working code just to integrate
one toolkit, no matter how nice it is.

So I guess the question now is whether it is feasible to use VTK without
CMake, and if so, where to start.

Thanks,
James