[vtkusers] vtk build for 10.3 and 10.4

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 16:13:54 EST 2006

I have VTK 5.0 official release compiled and running under Cocoa/
10.4. I only use it through Xcode and have nothing to do with Tcl/tk
so I can't say anything there.

I _did_ compile with the tcl/tk, python and Java wrappings although I
did not actually test anything. I write C++/Objective-C++ code with
VTK and it all seems to work.

Mike.
On Feb 7, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Gavin W. Burris aka 86 wrote:

> Here's an update.  Carbon works for me with tcl/tk Aqua on OS X
> 10.3.  I
> had to install XDarwin and compile for X11, no carbon or cocoa, on
> OS X
> 10.4.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Gavin W. Burris aka 86 wrote:
>> VTK on OS X will not work for me.  I tried building on 10.4 with
>> carbon
>> and then with cocoa, but nothing works.  The VTK window will show up
>> maybe with graphics, maybe without.  VTK Tcl/Tk examples will not
>> allow
>> you to select their windows into focus.  VTK Python examples
>> refuse to
>> exit/close.  The Tcl/Tk Aqua widget demo is working fine, so I'm
>> wondering what the problem is.  Anyone have it working on 10.4
>> reliably?
>>
>> at a loss...
>>

>> Gavin W. Burris aka 86 wrote:
>>
>>> I defined the following with ccmake:
>>> BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                ON
>>> VTK_USE_CARBON                   ON
>>> VTK_USE_COCOA                    OFF
>>> VTK_WRAP_TCL                     ON
>>> VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  ON
>>>
>>> I am using TclTkAquaBI 8.4.10 for Mac OS X 10.3 and later from:
>>> http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> I added the following in ccmake to try and make the VTK build
>>> compatible
>>> with 10.3:
>>> CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS                  -DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=1030
>>> CMAKE_C_FLAGS                    -DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=1030
>>>
>>> and "export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3" before my make command.
>>>
>>> It has built fine, but just sits and spins on 10.4 when I run the
>>> Medical1.tcl example.
>>>
>>> I'm giving up on 10.3, and dropping the version defines.  I will
>>> build
>>> for just 10.4 now, without the extra defines and environment