[vtkusers] Building VTK and link arguments

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 6 16:58:40 EST 2006

Mike Jackson wrote:
> I am building the official VTK 5.x release on OS X and I would like to
> add a custom link argument for all the generated libraries. I am
> building dynamic libraries and I would like to set the "install-name" of
> each library to "@executable_path/../Plugins" so I can include the libs
> in my .app package. Normally I would set this in the Xcode build
> settings but since I am using cmake I have no idea where to set that.

In the Fink package which uses cmake-2.0.5, there is the following cmake
command line option

   -DCMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING="-L%p/lib -install_name
%p/lib/vtk/\`basename <TARGET>\`"

Here %p/lib/vtk is the directory where the libraries will be installed.
This hack works, but it does not work with newer versions of cmake.

I would be interested, too, if someone found out how to transmit the
-install_name to the latest version of cmake. One can, of course, change
the install_name after the fact by running install_name_tool on all of
the vtk binaries and libs, but this is not a good solution.

--
Martin