[vtkusers] Building VTK on Mac OS X without using framework

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 2 01:51:22 EST 2006

Theodore Sternberg wrote:
> I just checked Fink and I see that it will install vtk5.0.  Is there a
> vtk4.4 there somewhere?  That's the API I've written my application code
> to.

Vtk-4.4 is still around, if perhaps somewhat hidden, because fink always
installs the highest avilable version-revision by default if the package
name is the same. Also the package database will only show the highest
available version. In the stable trees, vtk-py23 is still at version
4.4., in the unstable trees, vtk-4.4 is there, but masked by vtk-5.0.

The package description is in a file named vtk-py23.info (as opposed to
vtk-py.info for the newer version, which translates into vtk-py23 and
vtk-py24 variants). If you want to build it, you have to specify its
version:

   fink install vtk-py23-4.4.0-6

for example. Or use the stable tree or the binary distribution. They are
still at 4.4.

OTOH, there are quite a few things that don't work correctly with 4.4
and have been fixed in 5.0.

--
Martin