[vtkusers] How can I get a plane which cuts the surface perpendicularly

David.Pont at ensisjv.com David.Pont at ensisjv.com
Mon Dec 18 15:12:13 EST 2006

Sawsan Ahmed <sawsanahm at yahoo.com> wrote on 18/12/2006 20:20:50:

> Hello Friends,
>                  I want to get a plane which cuts an object of
> arbitrary shape perpendicularly along the surface.Could anyone give
> me any idea?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sawsan

Hi Sawsan,
   vtkOBBTree has a member function ComputeOBB. Perhaps you can use the
outputs from this to determine the location and orientation of the longest
axis. This information could then be used to locate and orient a plane:
vtkPlane and vtkClipPolyData or vtkCutter can then be used to clip or cut.

hope that helps, Dave P