[vtkusers] Linking errors when building VTK 5.0.2 on Mac OS 10.4.8 (Intel) with Python 2.4.4

Zachary Heaton zheaton at scitec.com
Thu Dec 14 17:24:27 EST 2006

Hello all,

Over the past few days, I've been attempting to build VTK 5.0.2 with
Python wrappings on a MacBook Pro with very little success.  My
builds always fail when and attempting to link
libvtkCommonPythonD.dylib:

> [  2%] Built target vtkCommon
> Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkCommonPythonD.dylib
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _PyArg_ParseTuple
> _PyErr_Clear
> _PyErr_SetString
> __PyString_Resize
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make[2]: *** [bin/libvtkCommonPythonD.5.1.0.dylib] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [Common/CMakeFiles/vtkCommonPythonD.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

My system configuration is as follows:

> OS: Mac OS 10.4.8 (Intel), build 8L2127
> Make: GNU Make 3.80, in /usr/bin/make
> Cmake: 2.4, patch 5, in /opt/local/bin/cmake, installed via MacPorts
> Python: 2.4.4, installed in /Library/Frameworks, obtained from
> www.pythonmac.org/packages/

A selection of my major build flags in Cmake are as follows.  (The
goal for this build is to serve as a base for MayaVI.)  I can post a
CMakeCache.txt as well, if that would be useful:

> CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY: 2.4
> CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES: i386
> CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT: /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
> BUILD_SHARED_LIBS: ON
> VTK_USE_CARBON: ON
> VTK_USE_COCOA: OFF
> VTK_USE_PARALLEL: OFF
> VTK_USE_RENDERING: ON
> VTK_USE_X: OFF
> VTK_WRAP_JAVA: OFF
> VTK_WRAP_PYTHON: ON
> VTK_WRAP_TCL: ON
> VTK_USE_RPATH: OFF and ON (build fails either way)
> PYTHON_DEBUG_LIBRARY: -framework Python
> PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
> 2.4/include/python2.4
> PYTHON_LIBRARY -framework Python

I've also tried building from the latest CVS instead of the stable
5.0.2 release, with the same results.  Has anyone on the list had
success or failures in building VTK in a similar configuration?  If
success, what differences did your configuration have?  If failure,
did your installation fail at the same point or at a different point?

Regards,
Zach Heaton