[vtkusers] error: cmake + free optimizing compiler from .net framework SDK --- x86 conflicts with x64

Weiguang Guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 13 11:50:10 EST 2006

Hello all,

With the help from Bill Hoffman, the problem has been solved. I'd like to
share the solution with you.

You may already find articles on the net, talking about free command-line
c++ complier from within microsoft's .Net Framework SDK and win32 libs
from within Platform SDK. I installed both and successfully compiled
all the examples from the "OpenGL RedBook", and mistakenly thought I got
the free comipler work.

Then, error occurred when I tried to build VTK --- CMake failed to
compile/link a simple c++ program during configuring VTK because
libcpmt.lib could not be found. In fact, all the c++ standard libs are NOT
shipped with either Framework SDK or Platform SDK.

The right way is using Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which is
free of charge. You can download it from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/. You need to
uninstall .NetFramework SDK if you already install it, and make sure you
set environmental variables correctly --- path, include, lib ...

Good luck!

Weiguang

Weiguang Guan, Research Engineer
RHPCS, McMaster University