[vtkusers] Order of transformation of a vtkProp3D in VTK5

Jens Ivar Jørdre jensivar at fmri.no
Tue Aug 29 08:59:11 EDT 2006

Hi.

I am trying to understand the order of transformations used in
vtkProp3D. My initial confusion relates to the detailed description
(http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.0/html/a01919.html#_details) which
states that it "... combines these instance variables into one 4x4
transformation matrix as follows:
[x y z 1] = [x y z 1] Translate(-origin) Scale(scale) Rot(y) Rot(x) Rot
(z) Trans(origin) Trans(position)."

In my view this contrast the description for SetOrientation(double,
double, double)
(http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.0/html/a01919.html#a12) which states
that "Orientation is specified as X,Y and Z rotations in that order, but
they are performed as RotateZ, RotateX, and finally RotateY."

Can anyone point me to my missing link of understanding?

Kind regards
Jens Ivar Jørdre