[vtkusers] Qt and VTK issues

Michael Rice marice at knology.net
Sat Aug 19 13:43:17 EDT 2006

On Aug 19, 2006, at 7:50 AM, Richard Haney wrote:

> Please Help,
>
> I am very new to the use of Qt and am trying to learn, so if this
> question is too elementary please forgive me, but is there some
> simple example code illustrating the use of Qt within VTK?  I am
> running Windows Xp using the latest VTK (5.0.1) and Qt (4.1.4).
>
> I have downloaded and compiled (using MinGW for Windows) VTK-5.0.1
> and Qt4.1.4 and can get both to work separately but not together
> (i.e., I can not get Qt to see any VTK code).  I set the Cmake to
> compile VTK with GUISupport, so I have the libQVTKWidgetPlugin.dll
> but don't know how to use this with Qt. Perhaps I have missed some
> PATHS or INCLUDE Directories?
>
> Any help/hints would be great.  Thanks in advance.

The libQVTKWidgetPlugin.dll is a plug-in for Qt Designer. To use it,
you need to copy the DLL to the $QTDIR/plugins/designer directory. If
you built VTK as DLLs, then you may also need to copy the VTK DLLs to
the $QTDIR/plugins/designer directory.

To use the plug-in, run the $QTDIR/bin/designer application. There
should be a QVTKWidget item available in the Widget Box.

Michael