[vtkusers] Mac Qt vtk difficulties

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Aug 18 10:46:18 EDT 2006

Dear anyone,

I have built an app on a MAC 10.4.7, (powerpc I believe), but although
the vtk window appears correctly and I can interact with it and zoom
etc, when I adjust sliders and text edits on screen in the gui, the vtk
window does not ever update correctly and in fact when I switch to
various special displays, I get nonsense out. I tried tweaking the build
options for the application to use Carbon on/off, use X on/ off, use
Cocoa on/off, I,ve used the MAC_OSX_BUNDLE option in cmake as well as
/usr/X11R6/..GL or framework GL, and although the application runs fine,
its as though opengl is just knackered inside the app and it doesn't
work properly.

Changing various opengl build options sometimes results in an app which
bombs out on start with "bus error" - not terribly helpful, but probably
related to the wrong GL calls being sent somehow (mixed framework GL and
X11R6 GL linkage perhaps)

Anyway. I am unable to debug the application because this XCode thingy
seems completely useless and I've given up on it. The same code builds
and runs fine under linux and windows.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and what I might try to
solve the problem? (Note that I must have rebuilt Qt/VTK and the app in
question several dozen times with various configurations so I'm tending
to lean towards the conclusion that macs just don't work very well.)

thanks

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch