[vtkusers] broadcasting an vtkUnstructuredGrid

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed Aug 2 10:02:29 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 15:30 +0200, Martin Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Can you preposition the whole file or pieces of the file onto local
> > storage on each node?
>
> copying the files on every node is no solution in my case as the files
> can be very large.
> And not all of the nodes have enough memory capacity to hold the files.

You mean storage right?

OK, the clusters I use have local disks on each node mounted as /tmp
just for this. It's really nice not to have to deal with file
contention, NFS and so on.

> > Do you rally want the same data on all the nodes?
>
> I am programming a parallel particle tracer. A particle could move to
> any place in the
> grid in a calculation step. So each node should have access to all data.

So the nodes have enough memory to hold the whole data set, but not
enough storage?

They can't ask for the pieces they need? Are there so many particles
that each process would have a particle in most pieces? Would it make
sense to break the data up and pass particles instead of data?