[vtkusers] 3D vector data problems

Christopher Wareing cjwareing at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 26 15:29:18 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I've tried to find an
answer in the archives and haven't been able to, so here goes:-

I'm using mayavi to visualise 3D scalar data and have been doing so without
problem using the STRUCTURED_POINTS vtk class. I'm now trying to visualise
3D vector data, velocity at each point in fact, using the same class using
the following vtk file format:

# vtk DataFile Version 2.0
Velocity dataset
ASCII

DATASET STRUCTURED_POINTS
DIMENSIONS 61 51 81
ORIGIN 0 0 0
SPACING 0.00875 0.00875 0.00875
POINT_DATA 251991
VECTORS velocity float
LOOKUP_TABLE default
v_x(0,0,0) v_y(0,0,0) v_z(0,0,0)
v_x(1,0,0) v_y(1,0,0) v_z(1,0,0)
v_x(2,0,0) v_y(2,0,0) v_z(2,0,0)
.
.
.
v_x(60,0,0) v_y(60,0,0) v_z(60,0,0)
v_x(1,1,0) v_y(1,1,0) v_z(1,1,0)
v_x(2,1,0) v_y(2,1,0) v_z(2,1,0)
.
.
.
v_x(60,50,80) v_y(60,50,80) v_z(60,50,80)

only I'm getting the following error from Mayavi:

Generic Warning: In C:\aap\src\VTK-4.4\IO\vtkDataReader.cxx, line 830
Error reading ascii data!

and no data loaded into Mayavi.

Does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Chris W