[vtkusers] Filling a hole

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Fri Apr 21 06:37:16 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 11:47 +0800, alex. gouaillard wrote:
> > What I don't get is why the loop? Could something be left over?
> >
> well, yes actually, if you have several holes.
> the code picks up on border edge and go around that (hole's) border
> only.
>
> It's quite brutal though:
> 1: it's planar (or almost) whereas you would like it to extrapolate the
> surface in some cases (C0, C1, C2, ...).
> 2: the points density can be very low. one would like to be able to
> adjust the point density to, say, the same density as the rest of the
> surface, or a curvature-dependent value.
> 3: shape factor of created triangles can be very very bad. It can be
> addressed together with 2.

I guess if I'm going to try to understand a piece of code I might as
well really understand it.

So, it's not so much that the patching can't close all the holes at
once, but that it might be good to treat some of the holes differently?

I definitely noticed that the triangles in the patch could have a very
bad aspect ratios, and some very bad angles between triangles as you go
around the loop. I might try sub-dividing the patches when I get to
work, just to get rid of some of the artifacts these problems cause.
That should work on 2 and 3 above but 1 does seem brutal.