[vtkusers] vtk.vtkVersion() not exposed to python?

Johann Cohen Tanugi cohen at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 18 04:02:18 EDT 2006

Hi I just built VTK and mayavi, and I the latter has a python executable
to test VTK functionalities, and all went find. But when I try to launch
mayavi itself, python tells me
 >>> import mayavi
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
 File "/data0/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mayavi/__init__.py",
line 7, in ?
   import Main
 File "/data0/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mayavi/Main.py", line
25, in ?
   import Sources.mv3DSImporter, Sources.VtkData
 File
"/data0/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mayavi/Sources/VtkData.py",
line 27, in ?
   from VtkXMLDataReader import get_array_type
 File
"/data0/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mayavi/Sources/VtkXMLDataReader.py",
line 23, in ?
   vtk_version = float(vtk.vtkVersion().GetVTKVersion()[:3])
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'vtkVersion'

I did not post to mayavi, because indeed browsing the content of the vtk
python package, I dont see any vtkVersion around.....

help please! Thanks in advance,
Johann