[vtkusers] How to setup a user-defined function with vtkInteractorStyle's u key?

henrikw at hgu.mrc.ac.uk henrikw at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 09:52:10 EDT 2006

Hi Aroosha,

I am fairly new to VTK but this is how I did it in python/VTK 4.2:

# normal rendering stuff
ren = vtkRenderer()
ren.SetBackground(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
renWin.SetSize(800,800)

renWin = vtkRenderWindow()
renWin.AddRenderer(ren)

ren.SetRenderWindow(renWin)

iren = vtkRenderWindowInteractor()
iren.SetRenderWindow(renWin)

# function to handle when the 'u' key is pressed
# you can call the function "handlekey" whatever you like
def handleKey(obj, event):
   print 'Hello I am the user defined function'

# add the observer to your window
iren.AddObserver("UserEvent", handleKey)

cheers,

Henrik