[vtkusers] Does VTK support render cropping?

Marc Cotran marc at cotran.ca
Wed Apr 5 20:55:37 EDT 2006

Hello fellow vtkusers,

I have an application wherein a vtkVolume is displayed in the render
window. This volume is large (200meg) and as such it takes a long time
to render ( ~5 seconds). I have a little sphere that picks a point on/in
the volume and moves to that point as the user moves the cursor.

The problem I am facing is that every time the cursor moves, a Render()
is called on the render window to get the sphere to render in its new
position. Since I have this huge volume in the render window, the
Render() takes so long that the application is very uninteractive.

I have tried using LODs... This works, but the volume image quality is
too low during interaction for my purposes.

I have considered somehow using the backing store combined with
renderers in different layers of the render window... But this just
seems like the *wrong* thing to do.

I am wondering if there is a way in VTK to specify a subregion of a
vtkViewport (vtkRenderer) to render. I would like to, for instance,
render only the region around the little sphere each time I move the cursor.

I know that cropping windows are fairly common in computer graphics.
Does anyone know if VTK offers this type of functionality?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Marc