[vtkusers] Re: vtkUnstructuredGridToPolyDataFilter

Steve Juranich sjuranic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 10:30:17 EDT 2006

Amitesh Agarwal wrote:

> I recieved an error using vtkpython interpretor which said
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/amitesh/holepatch.py", line 8, in ?
>     USG2Poly=vtk.vtkUnstructuredGridToPolyDataFilter()
> TypeError: this is an abstract class and cannot be instantiated
>
> Can anyone tell me what is the error? I will really appreciate any
> suggestion or solution in this regard.

Just like it says, it means you can't create an instance of
vtkUnstructuredGridToPolyDataFilter.  That means that there is a a C++ base
class that can be extended (again, in C++) which would then provide this
kind of functionality (I would assume).

I got bit by this same thing (actually, going from PolyData to
UnstructuredGrids) a couple of weeks ago.  I might have missed something,
but I ended up having to re-write my whole app using UnstructuredGrids. :-(

Good luck.
--
Steve Juranich
Tucson, AZ