[vtkusers] vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper features

Mario Medved mario.medved at xlab.si
Wed Sep 28 08:53:14 EDT 2005

Hi,

I was experimenting with vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper which is great,
but I noticed 2 problems/features:

1. MIP blend mode causes black spots over some images. I think this is due
space leaping, since vtkVolumeRayCastMapper does not have these problems.

2. When the shading is turned on, the gradient estimator works slower then
in vtkVolumeRayCastMapper. On larger volumes this can be very lengthy
operation. I checked the source code and there is just block of code for
calculating gradient values directly without any multiprocessor support.
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper uses gradient estimator object which does all
calculations with miltiproc support, but I am not sure why this code is not
used in vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper.

If anyone solved these problems, please let mo know, so I do not rediscover
hot water.

Thanks,
Mario