[vtkusers] Strange Artefacts with Surface Rendering

James Carroll mrmaple at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 08:46:21 EDT 2005

Hi Tobias,

This is a common 3D rendering issue.  When the surfaces are opaque,
the surfacae has a  position in the Z buffer, and if the closest face
gets drawn first, then because of the Z buffer (also called the depth
test.) things that are behind the surface aren't drawn at all.  As
soon as you have some transparency, all of the surfaces have to be
drawn, so the depth test is turned off.  Things that are behind are
blended equally with things that are in front.

I think this would cause the inside-out look of your brain surface.

This wouldn't cause the parts of the surface disappearing though...  hmm...

-Jim