[vtkusers] VTK java stereo help please - Serious Problem

Michael Raines raines at rap.ucar.edu
Sun Sep 18 17:13:13 EDT 2005

Hi
I am failing to get stereo output from java and would appreciate any
help please.

I have modified the Cone5.java example by adding the following lines
after renWin creation:

       vtkRenderWindow renWin = new vtkRenderWindow ();
       renWin.StereoCapableWindowOn();
       renWin.SetStereoTypeToCrystalEyes();
       renWin.StereoRenderOn();

The display does not show up in stereo.

I have also added the 3 line to more complex code using vtkPanel's
renderWindow, with the same failure.
The os and hardware are capable of displaying stereo, I can do so from
java3d.
The system uses two polarized projectors.
I am using vtk 4.2 on linux (debian) with java 1.5.

Has anybody got stereo to work with java ?

Would I have better luck with a more recent version of vtk ?

Again, I would really appreciate any help here on how to get stereo
working from java, as I am in a serious time crunch.

Thanks, Michael Raines
University Center For Atmospheric Research
303-497-2870