[vtkusers] Compilig VTK 4.2 on WinXP with MinGW

Matthias Langer mlangc at gmx.at
Thu Sep 15 21:05:46 EDT 2005

Martin Baumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searched the vtkuser archiv, but no mail could help me.
>
> I have the latest version of MinGW, CMake and VTK (4.2). Also I
> installed MSYS. I don't know if
> I really need MSYS.
>
> Did anyone made it to compile VTK 4.2 with MinGW? I mean without using any
> linux. Today I read alot of compiling VTK in Linux for Windows.
>
> Is there a HOWTO for this problem?
>
> I found this link http://www.dpinson.com/software/vtk/index.php where
> you can download makefiles
> that you can copy in your VTK-source directory and it is said that all
> you have to do is enter 'make'.
> In my case it doesn't work.
>

> Thanks, Martin

I have the same problem; It seems that vtk-4.2.6 is not compatible with
gcc-3.4:
[http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2005-April/079472.html].
I've played around with the makefiles you mentioned, and did some minor
(allmost trivial) modifications to
the source (added some casts, includes) and the make files (the whole
Hybrid directory was missing) to make it comile with mingw-3.4.2.
However, I had problems with linking against the
dlls afterwards and gave up ...

Matthias