[vtkusers] Loading VTK is slower the first time.

julien.barneoud at kodak.com julien.barneoud at kodak.com
Thu Sep 15 09:19:39 EDT 2005

Hi vtk users,

I am using the 4.4 release of VTK on a Windows OS. I have build an MFC
application (C++) which
- load a volume in a private file format,
- then build a 3D pipeline (using volume rendering)
- then render it.
This application is able to load and display several volumes.

I have noticed that the first time I call vtkRenderWindow::Render
function, the time to get the scene rendered is longer than ususal: it is
about 30 seconds before the image is displayed. If I load a second volume
dataset in the same instance of my application (even of a huger size), the
time to get the image displayed is really faster. It is the same if the
scene is rotated, pan or zoomed: the time to display is very short.

Is there any initialization done the first time VTK is called to display
an image? In that case, is there any way to perform that initialization
before performing rendering?

Thanks in advance for your answers, or any link to a previous known thread
that deal with that (unfortunately, I did not found one which matches).

Regards,

Julien BARNEOUD