[vtkusers] Problem with the vtkRenderWindowInteractor

Andrea Bulgarelli andbulga4 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 15:13:54 EDT 2005

Hello to everyone,
I'm a new user of vtk. I'm developing a 3D
representation of a scientific satellite (it's name is
AGILE, an Italian Space Agency satellite). In this
first version I have used only vtkCubeSource to
represent the component of the satellite and the
vtkRenderWindowInteractor to manage the scene. I need
to color the actors with different colors depending of
the data coming from the satellite.
In my application I have two thread. One that manage
the vtkRenderWindowInteractor, and one that set the
color of the actor.
When I set these colors, I can see the new colors in
the scene only when I move with the mouse the scene in
the window interactor. But I would like that the
render of the scene is performed when the scene are
changed (that it means, when I have set new colors),
and not when the user interacts with the scene.
I have tried with the Render() method of tha actors,
or with the render() method of the vtkRenderer (or the
Render() method of the vtkRenderWindowInteractor), but
the only result that I get is that the actor with the
new color disappear when I interact with the mouse
(they don't disappear if I change the color and don't
use the render() methods but only interact with the
render window).
I think that the solution is very simple, but I'm not
able to found it in the vtk books.

Best regards

Andrea Bulgarelli
AGILE Team (Italy)