[vtkusers] urgent: update VTK

Amy Squillacote amy.squillacote at kitware.com
Mon Sep 12 17:20:02 EDT 2005

Hi Isabelle,

You can't just download files that have been
added to VTK since the 4.4 release and expect
them to compile.  VTK has undergone many changes
since that release (enough to have a new major
version number).  If you want to use these new
files, you will need to upgrade to a new version
of VTK -- not just downloading new files you want
to use one class at a time.  VTK 5.0 is not yet
available for download from the web.  This means
you'll need to use CVS (Concurrent Versions System) to get this new version.

If you are running on Windows, you can download
WinCVS from here: http://www.wincvs.org. If you
are running *nix, cvs is likely already on your
system. In either case, you can specify VTK-5-0
as a tag so CVS knows what version of VTK to
download.  For the command-line version of CVS,
follow the instructions here:
http://www.vtk.org/get-software.php#cvs.  When
you do the checkout, use the -r flag to specify the version (as shown below).

cvs -d
:pserver:anonymous at public.kitware.com:/cvsroot/VTK checkout -r VTK-5-0 VTK

I've never used WinCVS, but you'll need to
specify the same things to it that you would for
the command-line version.  Is there anyone at
your office that has used CVS before?  If so,
they would be better equipped to help you learn how to use it.

- Amy