[vtkusers] Overlaying color onto a grayscale vtk image

Aaron Cois aaron_vtk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 16:16:57 EDT 2005

I apologize, this question is halfway between an ITK
question and a VTK question.  However, I believe there
may be a pure VTK solution, so i've posted here first.

I've been writing software that inputs grayscale
images via ITK and displays them using
vtkImagePlaneWidgets, vtkImageImport, and
itkVTKImageExport.

I've come across a need to overlay color on certain
pixels, marking them as having a certain status.  I've
had a good deal of trouble trying to accomplish this,
and haven't been able to find any answers searching
the archives.  Trying to just use an image of
itkRBGPixels has failed, though

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Auxiliary/vtk/itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx?root=InsightApplications&view=markup

would imply that it could be done.  I've tried using
vtkImageActors and have managed to output a 2D color
image (with interactor crashing problems, but at least
it displays), but not a 3D volume.

It seems ot me there should be a simple way for me to
get the output of the vtkImporter (a vtkDataSet or
vtkImageData) and simply alter individual pixels to
change them to a color rather than their grayscale
value.  Can anyone help?

   Aaron