[vtkusers] Vtk+java+linux installation problem

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Sep 7 17:55:37 EDT 2005

Lifang Liu wrote:
> Dear Mathieu,
>     Thank you so much. You are great. I only deleted lib and didn't
> remove *.o files. It passed the first test with the rebuilding library.
> I checked the testing result, but it still can't load the library
> "vtkcommonjava" ......... In the old version of Regression.java
> system.loadlibray("vtkCommonjava")... was used to load vtk library. It
> used more general method to load the library.  How can I use vtk library
> in my own program? I only need to do something using VTK library.

I am not sure I understand your question. Did you had a look at the
examples in VTK:

VTK/Examples/Tutorial/Step?/Java/*.java
or some simple app like:
VTK/Wrapping/Java/SimpleVTK.java

>      1/51 Test: JavaRegression
> Command: "/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin/java" "-classpath"
> "/usr/local/lib/VTK-build/bin/vtk.jar:/usr/local/lib/VTK-build/Wrapping/Java"
> "Regression" "-D" "VTK_DATA_ROOT-NOTFOUND" "-V"
> "Baseline/Graphics/Cone.png"

If you want to run the test, you should really download the VTKData,
although I guess we should not be running this test if VTKData was not
found. I believe this is fixed in CVS anyway.

> Length of array: 270000
> ERROR: In /usr/local/lib/VTK/IO/vtkPNGWriter.cxx, line 220
> vtkPNGWriter (0x8092400): Unable to open file
> ../../../Testing/Temporary/Cone.png
>
> ERROR: In /usr/local/lib/VTK/IO/vtkImageWriter.cxx, line 506
> vtkPNGWriter (0x8092400): Ran out of disk space; deleting file(s)
> already written

You installed VTK in /usr/local so you don't have write access -IMHO-.
The message might be a little be more criptic but I believe this is what
is happening ;-)
Try running the test directly from the build tree (or where you have
write access).

Mathieu