[vtkusers] change contrast in volume object (it's too dark)

Mark Wyszomierski markww at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:55:47 EDT 2005

Hi Lisa,
 First I had my MIP function using SetMaximizeMethodToScalarValue(), and it
looks like setting the opacity transfer function had no effect. If I switch
to SetMaximizeMethodToOpacity(), then the transfer function does have an
effect, though it is a strange effect. The areas of my organ dataset that
have the greatest intensity will appear as bright white both in the 2D
slices, and in the MIP rendering if maximize scalars is on (areas like
veins/artieries etc). Now that I set maximize to use opacity, and adjusted
the ramp, yes I can have only those really bright areas stand out, but since
their opacity is high I guess they are really dark grey now! It almost looks
like an inverted MIP. Should I specify a color mapping now too? My input is
one component unisigned short.
 The window and leveling for the image viewer classes is very interactive
with good response times. If I were to try the same thing binding the
opacity ramp to be interactive for this volume, I can get a refresh maybe
once every 1 - 2 seconds per change. That's why I am still wondering about
hooking into the output of the rendered volume somehow, so window / level
would only be done on the output image instead of every voxel in the volume,
then resampling etc, does this sound feasible/possible?
 I posted the relevant lines for my MIP below in case I'm doing something
wrong:
 OpacityTransferFunction->AddPoint(0, 0);
OpacityTransferFunction->AddPoint(0, 300.0);

Volume->SetProperty(VolumeProperty);
CompositeFunctionMIP->SetMaximizeMethodToOpacity();
VolumeMapper->SetVolumeRayCastFunction(CompositeFunctionMIP);
VolumeMapper->SetInput((*this->pImageData));
Volume->SetMapper(VolumeMapper);

Thank you!