[vtkusers] vtk 5.1 building with mingw

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Oct 27 09:52:30 EDT 2005

The pre-built CMake binary for Windows will allow you to compile and
test using mingw. The trick is to run cmake from an MSYS prompt (a
"mingw environment") and specify -G"Unix Makefiles".

So....
If I'm in a VTK source directory, running this from an MSYS prompt
should work to produce a binary tree in a subdir called "bin-mingw":
  mkdir bin-mingw
  cd bin-mingw
  cmake -G"Unix Makefiles" ..

Alternatively, you can launch CMakeSetup from that environment and
choose "Unix Makefiles" as your generator in there and point it to your
desired source and binary directories. The trick is simply launching
CMake or CMakeSetup from the correct environment.

How are you trying to build CMake when you get the following errors?
With "./bootstrap"?

(Also, search the VTK archives for mingw and my name... I remember
posting other messages with more details back in the March to May sort
of time frame this year.)

Hope this helps,
David