[vtkusers] Porting Osirix to Linux / Windows

Roch Comeau rcomeau at mac.com
Tue Oct 25 08:16:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

While I am not an Osirix Developer and I can't speak for them, a
quick look at the resources used by Osirix tells me that you are in
for a lot of work, and essentially have to write a new application
because Osirix uses a lot of Apple specific technologies. These include:

-Altivec accelerated math libraries
-vImage library for image processing
-X-grid for multi-computer multi-processing
-Objective C (not Apple specific, but more popular here)
-Cocoa framework for GUI and probably internal data structures

So while it is open source and uses a lot of open source components,
there are many key components that make it difficult to impossible to
port without essentially re-writing the software (someone can correct
me if I am wrong).

One of the arguments for using these technologies is that it allows
one to make best use of that particular architecture for speed and
user experience (and shorten development time) rather than take the
lowest common denominator (among computing platforms) approach (but
that's a whole other topic).

Your choices are to either rewrite almost from scratch or get a Mac
computer to use Osirix and learn objective C (I recommend the latter).

About the zip files. You need decompression software that can read
zip files (unzip). Does it not come standard on Windows and Linux
machines?

Regards,

Roch Comeau
Rogue Research Inc.