[vtkusers] 64 Bit OS X Version

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Oct 20 10:21:05 EDT 2005

On 2005-10-20 09:08, Mike Jackson said:

>Has anyone successfully compiled VTK (Any version) with 64 bit
>support for OS X 10.4.x? With the release of the G5's yesterday we
>are considering purchasing one loaded with RAM and I am trying to
>figure out if it is worth it or not. 4GB of RAM is starting to hinder
>our problem domain. If you did compile VTK, were there any caveats?
>Like turning off all the GUI elements (because they are not 64 bit
>ready)?

I don't think this will be possible.  As you say 'GUI elements' are not
64 bit ready.  More precisely, the only Apple-provided frameworks that
come in 64 bit varieties are System.framework and Accelerate.framework.
VTK uses all kinds of others like Carbon, Cocoa, OpenGL, etc., etc.,
none of which are 64 bit capable.

So unfortunately, any code using vtk will be limited to max 4 GB of RAM,
probably more like 2.5-3 really, because of memory used by apple
libraries and fragmentation, etc.

Maybe OS 10.5 will have more 64 bit libraries.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com