[vtkusers] File format

Roger Blum roger_blum at swissonline.ch
Wed Oct 19 22:09:02 EDT 2005

Hello vtk users,

I would like to display an elevation model. At the moment the data is stored
in a database. As reading from the database is rather slow and the database
is not always available, I would like to export data into a vtk readable
file.

The data has the following characteristics:
- A rectangular area (typical size 4000 * 2000 points)
- Each point has different attributes (height, covering,  type, ev. others)

What is the best way to represent the data (with the fastest reading)?
Can I use a structured points file or a XML Image Data file?
Can I read all the information from 1 file or do I need a file for each
attribute?

Thanks in advance for your ideas,
Roger