[vtkusers] vtk 4.2 and 4.4 install problems on Mac OS X Tiger; event handling problems

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 9 19:20:09 EDT 2005

Chris Scharver wrote:
> On 9/23/05, Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>> Sean McBride wrote:
>> []
>>> Post back if 5.0 doesn't fix it.
>> As soon as vtk-5.0 really exists, there will also be a Fink package. It
>> is somewhat frustrating to hear all this talk about vtk-5.0 and not
>> seeing it released. CVS is not an option for a Fink package; we need a
>> non-moving target.
>
> DarwinPorts is facing the same issue--although CVS support is
> available, it's strongly discouraged. Perhaps we could create a
> snapshot tarball and both fink and DP could use that? One problem with
> snapshots is finding a place to host them. I haven't recompiled VTK on
> my laptop for a while, but maybe I should give the 5.0 branch a try,
> as another problem is choosing a snapshot that's rather reliable..

I have now done as you suggested: I made a snapshot from the 5-0 branch,
put it up on my web space as
<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/costabel/VTK-5.0-0.20051008.tar.bz2>
and made a Fink package vtk-py23-5.0-0.20051008.2 (exists also as py24
variant). The version number contains the date of the snapshot and is
decorated such that the first "true" 5.0 version can be 5.0-1 and will
be higher than this one. Normally the opendarwin.org distfiles mirror
should pick this tarball up automatically, so that it can be used by
darwinports as well, but I have the impression that the automatic
mirroring has been sleeping for a couple of weeks, so maybe one needs to
copy it manually?

This version builds on Mac OSX 10.4 (using X11), and the first quick
tests indicate that some of the notorious problems with window
interaction have disappeared now.

--
Martin