[vtkusers] Error: Incompatible libpng version

Martin Baumann mailsgetlost at web.de
Tue Oct 4 08:33:04 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have the following problem:

With my Suse 9.3 Machine I compiled VTK4.2 and a program.
I have installed libpng-1.2.6-4 and libpng-develop-1.2.6-4 (I see that in Yast).
On my machine the thing works!

I copied the VTK libs and includings and the binaries of the program to
an other Linux machine. On that machine libpng-1.2.5 is installed.
The program works also so far.

But when I try to generate an image, I get the following warning and error:

   libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
   libpng warning: Application is running with png.c from libpng-1.2.5
   libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
   ERROR: In /home/martin/local/src/VTK4.2/IO/vtkPNGWriter.cxx, line 156
   vtkPNGWriter (0x84443e0): Unable to write PNG file!

My Question:

I can't understand where libpng-1.0.12 (of the warning message) comes from.
Does the error occurs just because of the warning?
I don't want to compile VTK on this machine, only if it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks, Martin