[vtkusers] Re: CocoaWindow.h/mm incomplete

Mike Jackson maillist at bluequartz.net
Fri Nov 25 12:24:00 EST 2005

On Nov 25, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 2005-11-25 12:11, Mike Jackson said:
>
>> I am working with CVS HEAD and to my surprise when I wen to compile
>> for Cocoa, the contents of Redering/CocoaWindow are severely cut down
>> from what they were in VTK 4.2.x? Is there still work needed to be
>> done on VTK5 and Cocoa or can I safely use the code from VTK 4.2 in
>> my VTK5 based App?
>
> The existence of vtkCocoaWindow.mm (an NSWindow subclass) was
> problematic for several reasons, and so it was basically gutted.  This
> was quite deliberate, not something unfinished.  You should find that
> VTK 5 works much better with Cocoa than it used to.  You should not
> mix
> in the vtk 4 code.
>
> Is there a problem you are having with 5, or were you just curious?
>
> --

Well, I was following the article out at MacDevCenter about combining
Cocoa with VTK and in that article there are some additional classes
created to make Cocoa work better with VTK. That article is a quite
old and so obviously I need to figure out the correct way to combine
VTK with Cocoa.
   Basically what I want to go is have a "View" embedded in a window
with other controls present in the same window. I don't want the
whole window to just be the OpenGL view.
    I am going to assume, with out actually trying first, to just
drag an NSOpenGL view into my Window in Interface Builder and set the
Custom class to vtkOpenGLView? Then hook up everything else as normal?

---
Mike Jackson
mike _at_ bluequartz dot net