[vtkusers] compilation failure on OSX

Bernard Giroux giroux at geo.polymtl.ca
Wed Nov 23 10:03:24 EST 2005

Hi,

This is my first experience with VTK.  I'm trying to build the CVS
library on my system (OS X 10.4.3, XCode 2.2).  I would like to use
the java interface.  I configured ccmake as follows:

BUILD_EXAMPLES                   OFF
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                ON
CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY    2.2
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
VTK_DATA_ROOT                    VTK_DATA_ROOT-NOTFOUND
VTK_USE_CARBON                   OFF
VTK_USE_CG_SHADERS               OFF
VTK_USE_COCOA                    ON
VTK_USE_GLSL_SHADERS             OFF
VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 OFF
VTK_USE_RENDERING                ON
VTK_USE_RPATH                    ON
VTK_USE_X                        OFF
VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    ON
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  OFF
VTK_WRAP_TCL                     OFF

(I search the archives, where I only found that I should select cocoa
rather than carbon when using the java wrapper.)

I get these errors when compiling:

[snip]
Building CXX object Widgets/CMakeFiles/vtkWidgetsJava.dir/
vtkXYPlotWidgetJava.o
Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkWidgetsJava.dylib
Generating ../java/vtk/vtkAngleWidget.java
Generating ../java/vtk/vtkContourRepresentation.java
Generating ../java/vtk/vtkDistanceWidget.java
Generating ../java/vtk/vtkOrientedGlyphContourRepresentation.java
Generating ../java/vtk/vtkWidgetEventTranslator.java
Generating ../../java/vtk/vtkBuildAllDriver.class
/usr/local/VTK-CVS/VTK/build-java/java/vtk/../vtk/
vtkCameraWidget.java:23: GetRe
presentation() in vtk.vtkCameraWidget cannot override
GetRepresentation() in vtk
.vtkBorderWidget; attempting to use incompatible return type
found   : vtk.vtkCameraRepresentation
required: vtk.vtkBorderRepresentation
   public vtkCameraRepresentation GetRepresentation()
                                  ^
/usr/local/VTK-CVS/VTK/build-java/java/vtk/../vtk/
vtkCaptionWidget.java:27: GetR
epresentation() in vtk.vtkCaptionWidget cannot override
GetRepresentation() in v
tk.vtkBorderWidget; attempting to use incompatible return type
found   : vtk.vtkCaptionRepresentation
required: vtk.vtkBorderRepresentation
   public vtkCaptionRepresentation GetRepresentation()
                                   ^
/usr/local/VTK-CVS/VTK/build-java/java/vtk/../vtk/vtkTextWidget.java:
23: GetRepr
esentation() in vtk.vtkTextWidget cannot override GetRepresentation()
in vtk.vtk
BorderWidget; attempting to use incompatible return type
found   : vtk.vtkTextRepresentation
required: vtk.vtkBorderRepresentation
   public vtkTextRepresentation GetRepresentation()
                                ^
3 errors
make[2]: *** [java/vtk/vtkBuildAllDriver.class] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Wrapping/Java/CMakeFiles/VTKBuildAll.dir/all] Error 2

Any help appreciated.

---
Bernard Giroux, ing., Ph.D.
Associé de recherche