[vtkusers] Dynamically inserting data using graphical interface

erwann.houzay erwann.houzay at laposte.net
Tue Nov 22 15:58:15 EST 2005

Thanks for your quick answer...

I found this possibility but is it really efficient and
powerfull to create one dataset each time you want to agregate
dynamically one point to a previously constructed dataset (I
would like to presevre CPU and memory for other uses)?

Is there an other way to do like directly inserting a point
using a method like InsertPoint()? Is this is possible? Or
just the internal structure of VTK doesn't allow this king of
behaviour...

VTK is quite efficient for displaying large dataset. I've
tried 2 000 000 of points inside one cell in an unstructred
grid using scalars and the LookupTable to change the color and
it was OK whith an old PC.

VTK contains also a lot of useful funcionality for mi
applications. So I'm very interested...

But I really need to append efficiently for exemple one point
to a l;arge datasel without any memory copy and CPU load? Is
anyome has/had the same problem?

Is there this funcionnality implemeted in VTK? If not, is
there an easy way to append "easily" this behaviour to VTK or
this si impossible du to its internal structure?

Thanks for your testimony/advices...

> One suggestion for this is use the vtkAppendPolyData (our
watever is
> appropriate for your data type) to combine the data in the
pipeline.
> Keep each element separate.
>
> Or the other choice is to apply appropriate scalars to all
data, and set the
> data you don't want to see at 100% transparent. This would
be done using a
> vtkLookupTable applied to your Mapper. You could also color
different
> elements differently this way. This is what we do to handle
500+ MB optic
> nerve connective tissue reconstructions.
>
> --
> Sometimes it's hard to tell the dancer from the dance -
Corwin in CoC

Answering to

Hi

I'm a newby using VTK... I'm looking for a library to
dynamically load and process data using a 3D powerfull
interface....

I tried a few VTK. I've understand that it's necessary to load
data's into a dataset for rendering and processing...

In my applications I need to process 3D data dynamically
changing the data set. For example, I need to apply a filter
to a dataset, view the result and remove/add some elements
using the graphical interface or not and apply then others
filters...

I don't find any convenient methods to remove or add data
dynamically data in a dataset(Unstructured Grid and PolyData)
without copying all the dataset or create a new one (well I
have to manage 2 000 000 of points "interactively" and big
images in the same time->50M)...

The "pipe" structure of VTK seems to not be designed for this
purpose... Am I true? Or just I miss somethinig in the docs....

I plane to use VTK for Laser Scanner datas...

Thanks for your answers

Erwann