[vtkusers] autoconf macros to check for VTK

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Nov 17 13:43:09 EST 2005

> I use bakefile (http://bakefile.sf.net) for all my
> build systems.
> It's a great tool since it's used only by developers
> to create build systems based on other standard build
> systems: MSVC, borland, watcom, etc on win32, autoconf
> on unix.

'It's a great tool since it's used only by developers' ?

> Autoconf is The standard on unix.

There is no standard on unix :)
Also IMHO if people start developing CMake, Jam, Qmake, Rake, ant and
others I suspect autoconf had some drawbacks...

> So, yes: I'm going to support a lot of platforms. I
> don't like CMake and it gave me much more problems
> (for example with VTK) than autoconf.

I am sorry to hear that. But if you would describe your problem I am
sure you will find help in this very mailing list.

> Anyway, this is not a critic to Cmake.
> I just want to say that I think that VTK developers
> should make easier to interface VTK also to other
> build systems (autoconf but also others) in order to
> enlarge the user & developer base of VTK; specially
> when it requires a very little effort (like writing a
> small .pc file to copy during unix installation).

VTK license allows you almost anything, so feel free to distribute it,
and add a link to your pc file from the VTK Wiki page. Thanks.

> AC_PATH_VTK([minimum-version], [action-if-found],
> [action-if-not-found])

Can I use that if I am using XCode ? Can I use that if I am using Visual
Studio ?

> nice article; I posted my comment there.
> Anyway give a look also to the comments of autoconf
> supporters; they raise some good points...

One point not raise which is fundamental for us at Kitware is the
integration with ctest/Dart, which is the testing framework we used.

You should be able to find more information at:
[Autotools vs. CMake]
http://tools.devchannel.org/devtoolschannel/03/12/15/2139255.shtml

[Cross-Platform Software Development Using CMake]
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6700

Mathieu