[vtkusers] autoconf macros to check for VTK

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Nov 17 09:41:11 EST 2005

Francesco,

	Please go to the CMake page at http://cmake.org, you should understand
why VTK does not make use of the autoconf/automake thing. You have to
understand that VTK is aimed at being cross plateform and CMake try to
respect every plateform while offering the tool you are used to develop
(XCode, Visual Studio...). How do you expect being able to support that
with autotools/autoconf/automake ?

	As a side note when I create a new project that need VTK I write in my
CMakeLists.txt:

FIND_PACKAGE(VTK REQUIRED)
INCLUDE(${VTK_USE_FILE})

	Can autoconf be more succint ?

Mathieu
Ps: Another good ref:

[Stop the autoconf insanity! Why we need a new build system.]
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/889/