[vtkusers] Okay, I'm lost.

Andrew Maclean a.maclean at cas.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 17:43:48 EST 2005

This may help. It is slightly outdated but it is generally what I do. This
is for Linux.

Decide whether to use shared libraries or static ones.
If using shared libraries and if you want to install for all users then make
sure BUILD SHARED LIBS is ON and CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS is OFF. Then when
building set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the bin directory where the file are being
build.

i.e. export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<path to bin dir in vtk build directory>:${
LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

After you are done, add these lines to your .bashrc file:

export VTK_DATA_ROOT=/usr/local/src/vtk/VTKData
export VTK_ROOT=/usr/local/src/vtk/VTK
export VTK_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib/vtk-5.1
export VTK_DIR=/usr/local/lib/vtk-5.1
export
PYTHONPATH=$VTK_ROOT/Wrapping/Python:/usr/local/src/vtk/build/VTK-build/bin:
${VTK_LIBRARY}

This assumes vtk-5.1 exists in =/usr/local/lib/.

I hope this helps.

Andrew