[vtkusers] configuration errors, vtk 4.2 Latest Release, cmake 2.2.2, windows xp

Ravi Jonnal rjonnal at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 1 19:37:37 EST 2005

Hello group.

I've been trying to build VTK on my machine and I'm getting some very
confusing errors at the configuration step.  Perhaps someone has seen
these?

My setup:
Windows XP, VTK 4.2 Latest Release, CMake 2.2.2, Visual Studio .NET 2003
w/ Visual C++ 7

This was just my latest attempt; I've tried using the VTK 4.4 interim
release, and I've tried using older versions of CMake, i.e. 2.0.6 and
1.8.3, and in each case I get the same errors.

I'm using the CMakeSetup GUI.  These are the errors I get (sorry if there
are typos; I had to transcribe the contents of the error message windows,
and I'm a bad typist).  I've included any of my comments on the errors in
square brackets []:

CMake Error:  Unable to find executable for TRY_RUN:  tried
"d:/VTKbin/CMakeTmp/cmTryCompileExec.exe" and
"d:/VTKbin/CMakeTmp/Debug/cmTryCompileExec.exe" and
"d:/VTKbin/CMakeTmp/Development/cmTryCompileExec.exe".
[CMake is correct; these files do not exist.]

CMake Error:  Error in cmake code at
D:/VTK/CMake/vtkLoadCMakeExtensions.cmake:7:
LOAD_COMMAND Attempt to load command failed from file:
cmVTK_WRAP_TCL2.dll
[CMake is correct again; this DLL is not compiled.]

CMake Error:  Error in cmake code at
D:/VTK/CMakeLists.txt:102:
A command failed during the invocation of macro
"VTK_LOAD_SINGLE_CMAKE_EXTENSION"

CMake Error:  Error in cmake code at
D:/VTK/CMake/vtkLoadCMakeExtensions.cmake:17
VTK_LOAD_SINGLE_EXTENSION unknown error.

CMake Error:  Error in cmake code at
D:/VTK/CMakeLists.txt:102:
A command failed during the invocation of macro
"VTK_LOAD_CMAKE_EXTENSIONS"

CMake Error:  Error in cmake code at
D:/VTK/CMake/vtkLoadCMakeExtensions.cmake:102
VTK_LOAD_CMAKE_EXTENSIONS unknown error.

The end of a CMakeLists file was reached with an IF statement that was not
closed properly.
Within the directlyr: D:/VTK
The arguments are: COMMAND VTK_WRAP_TCL2

[The following error appears several (maybe 7) times, with subdirectories
other than "Filtering" and various line numbers instead of "102":]
CMakeError:  Error in cmake code at
D:/VTK/Filtering/CMakeLists.txt:102:
Unknown CMake command "VTK_MAKE_INSTANTIATOR2".

[Due to this final error, I never get the "OK" button, i.e. it's never
ready to run.]
CMake Error:  Error in configuration process, project files may be
invalid.

What obvious setup/configuration step have I missed?  My apologies in
advance if it's something stupid.

All the best,

Ravi

office:		812/856.6058